Sunday 12 February 2012

50 First Dates Please!

Dear Anyone,

I've been meaning to update you for a week, but I haven't found the time, and now I'm glad I didn't, because now I have more to add to it anyway...

So... I've met someone.  And this one seems worthy of genuine excitement! Can you believe it??  It means that my theory about my room was right!  Ok, so here's the story up to this point - it might be a bit of a long'un:  

Some weeks ago my friend Shar told me she'd started chatting to a guy on good ole Plenty of Fish, and that he seemed pretty cool, but she wasn't looking for it to be anything romantic/relationship related, just friends.  She also sent me a photo of him, and I thought he looked cute, but I didn't think anything else of it.  Then nearly 3 weeks ago she messaged me saying that she really thinks I would get on with the guy she told me about, so she wants to introduce us.  I'm sure I've previously mentioned to you that I'm very uncomfortable with matchmaking, I find it too pressured, so I told her as such.  She said he's really nice, etc etc, I should just chat with him on Facebook and see how it goes.  After speaking to my other friend RG, who said that if anything I could just look at it as a guy to treat me to dinner and dates, I decided to step out of my comfort-zone and told Shar she could introduce us, so she did the Friend Suggestion thing on Facebook, and by the time I checked it, I'd already received a request from him and a message in my inbox and we got chatting.

His name is Joe, he's five years older than me, lives in London, has twin teenage sons, works in IT, writes very well (this is almost a turn-on for me I've realised), is of Bajan parentage, is very easy to talk to and so sweet.  We chatted on Facebook for about two days, then I gave him my phone number and we chatted for a day via text message, before he called me (on the Sunday).  Our first conversaion lasted over an hour, in which I learned that he has first seen my profile on POF about six months ago, and had tried to send me a message, but because my criteria is for a guy my age and up to three years older, his message wouldn't deliver.  Therefore he used points he had acquired to send a (virtual) gift along with a message, and waited and waited and waited for my reply, but because I hadn't logged into the site since about this time last year, I never saw it.  Then when he and Shar became friends on Facebook, he saw my photo in her friends list and told her how much he already liked me from my POF profile.  So it seems he already knew she was trying to hook us up (and I had told her not to tell him that she'd spoken to me - duh!). He asked me out on a dinner date to a lovely Thai restaurant for the following Saturday, which was last week.

The first date.  The first date, the first date, the first date.  Quite possibly the best first date I've ever been on.  We met up in the city when it started snowing like mad.  Some may see it as romantic, I see it as a hindrance in my attempt to look sexy.  He looked hot though - dark-skinned, bald, designer goatee, taller than me (thank you God!).  The chivalry during the entire evening wasn't just on point, it was above point!  Opening the car door, opening doors, ladies first, helping with my coat, paying - everything!! Conversation was fine, because we'd been speaking through the week. He was literally in awe of me - something I'm not at all used to - and just seemed really happy and shy at the same time.  The absolute highlight came after we'd finished eating our main meal.  There were plenty of birthday celebrations happening in the restaurant that night, so when the man from the front desk came to us holding a cake and asking whose birthday it was, I just thought he'd got it wrong and told him that we didn't have a birthday here.  But Joe signalled for him to put the cake down on our table, and it was a lovely chocolate cake with cherries and strawberries around it, and my name written in the middle.  I was speechless.  Joe then told me that it was a little something he wanted to do just to show his appreciation for me agreeing to come come out with him, because I didn't realise how much it meant to him.  To him it was almost fate that made him befriend Shar, which led to him finding me again. Wow!  I didn't even want to touch the cake, so I had it boxed up to take away.  It was lovely.  We left not long after that, because he was dropping me home and the snow was coming down quite hard.  He even carried my bag and walked me to my door, so... you know... I allowed a couple pecks on the lips during the goodbye.  I was smiling so hard for the rest of the night and Sunday too.

We went to the cinema two days later (I was off work and he bunked off work), then went out to eat two days after that, then went bowling two days after that.  Four dates within a week!  I'm a lil giddy, and extremely hopeful that this might be what I've spent the past 4+ years asking for!  He's very very sweet, VERY into me, very romantic, very tactile, he's told me that he could see himself falling for me, and that he wants to be with me.  I think I can see the same happening with me.  We hav a lot in common, in terms of what we like, what we think and how we think about things.  It's scary - but in a good way.  I've been imagining him meeting my friends and family and everyone liking each other.  I'm not used to this at all.  I know it sounds like it has happened very quickly (and yes it has), but you should know me by now to know that I don't enter into things blindly.  If tomorrow he should let me down, I won't have lost anything but hope and optimism.

So be happy that I'm smiling for once!  I'm going to keep you posted on the progress as often often as possible, but if you don't hear from me for a little while, it's because there's no internet access on Cloud 9*.



* That was corny as hell, but I did it on purpose :) 






3 comments:

RG said...

It all sounds magical.So happy for you.

John Boy said...

Brap!*

Immature as hell but I did it on purpose.

Wonderful said...

Thank you John Boy! Lol.